Monday, August 08, 2011

THINGS EYE LIKE #2














This is a scene from David Lynch's Mulholland Drive, a film so full of wonderful and unusual scenes that I could've picked any of the scenes. But in particular, the shot above really captured my attention. The shot I;ve used isn't quite the moment I wanted, but it does the job.

I loved how the two faces sort of blend into each other, with each profile making up half the face. A wonderfully symbolic shot above love and two souls coming together, especially after the emotionally intense and sensual confession that happens earlier in the sequence. Of course, things take a typically bizzare twist after, but for that exquisite moment, Lynch visually translates the duality of a relationship into a beautiful shot.

P.S. And a friendly tip: never watch Mulholland Drive at 12 midnight. It scared the living daylights out of me, particularly the scene by the diner, and for the rest of the film I kept checking over my shoulder to see if anyone was behind me.

P.P.S I've read that this shot may be an homage to an old film. Can't be sure, to be honest.

[Update: It's an homage to Ingmar Bergman apparently. With a more sinister interpretation that it symbolizes the merging of identities.]

No comments:

Post a Comment