Monday, June 20, 2011

FILMS, 2011
Entry #8



30 films in the first half of the year! A bit of a half-year review:


Taking 2011 into account (i.e. after The Kids Are All Right), every film released in the cinema this year has been underwhelming to say the least. Sucker Punch remains the low, low point of a stream of bland and uninspired offerings. For the upcoming month or two, I'm looking forward to Tree of Life, and 13 Assassins (by Takeshi Miike).


On the other hand, films caught elsewhere (which are more in tune with my taste since I made the effort to find them) have been interesting. Children of Men and Memento were technically the most impressive, with Children of Men receiving an unusually enthusiastic response from the cine-phile in me. But the film I find myself thinking of the most is Into The Wild.


Strangely enough, I was largely unaffected in the moments immediately after watching it, and yet I've found myself thinking a lot about Chris McCandless and his philosophy in life. I suppose in a vague sense, I feel a connection to him; that gnawing desire to detach oneself from society. But the lesson learnt in the end ("happiness only real when shared") is what I think constantly of. Could human relationships, with all its flaws and vanities, remain the key to true happiness?


--

Caught in the cinema:

  1. X Men: First Class
  2. Super 8
  3. Fast Five
  4. Source Code
  5. Thor
  6. Sucker Punch
  7. The Kids Are All Right
  8. True Grit
  9. The King's Speech
  10. Winter's Bone
  11. 127 Hours
  12. Black Swan
  13. Monsters
  14. The Fighter
  15. Love and Other Drugs
--

Caught elsewhere:

  1. Be With Me (local)
  2. Day for Night
  3. Swingtime at the Movies (short)
  4. They Drive by Night
  5. Man on Wire
  6. Despicable Me
  7. Children of Men
  8. Into The Wild
  9. 28 Weeks Later
  10. Memento
  11. An Education
  12. The Great Train Robbery
  13. Le Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip to The Moon)
  14. Inception
  15. Inglorious Basterds

No comments:

Post a Comment