Sunday, February 20, 2011

Films 2011, Entry #2

It's been an awful week, to say the least.

Anyway, keeping up on my promise to watch the oscar contenders - a week late, and only following through with a lot of help from Sarah - I caught Black Swan and 127 Hours this weekend in the theatres, BACK TO BACK.

Anyway I must admit I thought Black Swan was fantastic. That being said, I do understand why it has been labelled as 'torture porn' (by ST) and exploitative (by Mel).

Sarah says it should be the winner this year, though I am less certain. For one, the academy awards tend to select a film which is less controversial. I have more thoughts on this, but I'll have to post them another time.

127 Hours was a bit of a downer for me. I'm not sure if it's because Black Swan was so intense that the laid-back nature of 127 Hours ( at least as laid-back as cutting off your arm could be) couldn't quite match up. Given the richness of the material, I'm not terribly impressed by the film as a whole. Also, I guess I'm just not a fan of Danny Boyle's style.

I watched two other silent films this weekend and I want to talk more about them but I'm running out of time, so another time perhaps.

Hope you had a good weekend.

(p.s. Btw, the nominees are: Black Swan, The Fighter, Inception, The Kids Are All Right, The King's Speech, 127 Hours, The Social Network, Toy Story 3, True Grit, Winter's Bone)

(p.p.s I jokingly mentioned to Sarah at the start of Black Swan that we should go watch 127 Hours afterwards, and after the movie, she calmly said, "let's go check the timing for 127 Hours". Before I knew it, we were in the cinema for the second time.)

--

Caught in the cinema:

1. 127 Hours
2. Black Swan
3. Monsters

4. The Fighter
5. Love and Other Drugs

--
Caught elsewhere:


1. The Great Train Robbery
2. Le Voyage Dans La Lune (A Trip to The Moon)
3. Inception (bought the Dvd)
4. Inglorious Basterds (Dvd version on my computer)

No comments:

Post a Comment